1.20.2012

My my life is a bad comedy. And I'm tired of starring in it.

From now on, I'm going to act on my predictions and ideas when they come to me, instead of spending a month+ wavering between whether or not my idea may or may not be stupid for the may or may not be... intended audience. Today is the pickle on my shit sandwich of journalist motivation and pace of work. Here's why:

For months, I've been mulling over an article idea about cereals. It started at a grocery store in La Spezia, Italy, where I spotted my new favorite cereal that I would never see again in this country. I won't go into specifics, but this one cereal was intended to be the "star" of the article - delicious morsels that aren't, in fact, available here in the United States. I was going to accompany my words with a sweet infographic and even t-shirt ideas for the publication I was pitching this to - a great magazine in New York. My article plus extra mile of face-melting graphics and ideas for the company were going to come with a side of desperation and a plea for that once in a lifetime internship, the one that could put me on the map or at least give me a good beginning for the memoir I would write when I'm 75 and have gone nowhere due to my lack of haste. But excellent ideas aside, today I decide to go shopping at Target, an establishment which has earned my utmost respect in terms of bomb-ass deals on juices and snacky food (and even frozen veggies if you catch them on a good day).

This is the point where I will ask one question and those who formulate a correct answer can move on. 

* At Nicole's trip to Target, did she:

A). Run into an awkward ex 
B). Run into an awkward ex who had the same idea for a story pitch to the same magazine
C). Purchase a giant plastic bear filled with animal crackers for $4.97
D). Stroll down the cereal aisle only to find that the United States is now mass producing the intended star of her magazine pitch and selling them everywhere.

Sorry, the correct answers we were looking for were C and D. For those of you who are moving on, I know you Christmastree'd it. Be ashamed. 

As a Capricorn with an estranged sense of intuition, I know what you're thinking, so don't worry. Yes, I could still continue with my pitch idea minus the cereal that I was most passionate writing about. Yes, I could think of an entirely new idea and try to work on that. Yes, life will go on and within the next hour I will have changed into my fudge-stained Candy Kitchen t-shirt and be on my way to lift waffle cones into walking corpses' faces like a programmed cyborg. Yes, that will be $2.90 and $3.10 with tax. Two singles? $6.21 with tax. No we don't have senior discounts. Why should you pay less just because your skin is fucking ancient? 

Life is gross. 




2 comments:

  1. Holy hell... I made that "bad comedy" joke to you offhand but it is SERIOUSLY true.

    On a side note, I'm totally buying that cereal next time I hit up Target. If it doesn't give me the orgasm I'm expecting, I want my money back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. You dubbed my life a bad comedy and a bad comedy it will remain. Awesome story pitch? *ruined* A graphic design job for $14 an hour *not worth working with psychopaths and ancient technology* And I will give you your money back. It's really good but didn't taste like the box I had in Italy. But of course I did buy a box the other day at Target and proceeded to eat it angrily.

      Delete